I’m about to write a fairly long post, that I wrote yesterday, and somehow in the process of publishing, I seemed to have smurfed it all up, it published, and was blank… I was a little to frustrated yesterday to type it all up again, so I waited until now. I’m only irritated now. If my blog disappears though, you’ll know it happened again.
I upgraded to Windows 8, and Office 2013. Both of these products can integrate with Windows Live accounts. This affords you the ability to tie your Hotmail, your Xbox account, your Skydrive and so on into your Windows experience. Word and Excel and other office products offer you the ability to save your documents straight out to the cloud in your Skydrive, which I found helpful.
Another thing about it that kind of excited me was the idea that eventually we could all have “roaming profiles” which means you log into one computer with your windows live account, make changes, and when you log into a different computer, those changes will be there as well. It’s not quite how it works right now, but I bet dollars to donuts that in the next five or so years, that’ll be a reality.
At any rate, somehow I got my account blocked. When I try to log in, I get a message that says “We’ve detected suspicious activity on your account, so for your protection we’ve temporarily blocked it.”
Now, being in IT, I’ve seen this sort of thing before. Something gets goofy and companies would rather block the account, and ask questions alter, to prevent the loss of data or wanton abuse of a service, etc. Not a big deal I figured. I went to the account.live.com and tried to log in. Sure enough “Your account has been temporarily blocked. Please contact support.” and a “Continue” button. I figured that’d bring me to the place to fix it.
I clicked continue, and came to a page that had a list of 6 or 8 error messages, each one a link. I clicked on the link “Your account has been temporarily blocked”, and it brought me back to the previous page. /blink.
I clicked continue again, same links… click the link again, same previous page. Back and forth.
I did some research in the problem via google, and it seems to be a pretty common problem. People locked out of their account, with no explanation, and no idea what to do about it.
I made a post a few days ago about getting technical support via Twitter, and mentioned that this is what I was doing… I haven’t gotten a resolution just yet, and I’ve tweeted back and forth a few times now. They’ve “escalated” my problem twice now, but at least I’m hearing back from someone on it, instead of just getting stuck in a loop and spinning my wheels.
Again, I can’t stress enough how useful twitter is when looking for support. The next time you’re having trouble with something on the web, check out twitter and search for the problem. I bet you’ll be pleasantly surprised!