So I got this recipe from my mother in law, and it was over the phone. We tend to just kinda do things outta habit so instead of cold, hard measurements, there’s a good amount of “In that medium sauce pan we have” and “Just shaken in some salt”… So I’m going to do my best to guesstimate here on some things. Results may vary!
This is not your typical swimming in cheese Mac and Cheese. It’s not soupy, it’s light and not terribly messy.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In an 8 cup sauce pan (perhaps?! I was told “not the small one, but the next one up.) put in 2 cups of milk (I was told to fill the sauce pan around 1/4 of the way… This is the biggest guess I’m making here.)
- Add 2 TBS of butter.
- Heat it on medium-low heat (I was told not low, but not medium.)
- Cut up a package of velveeta cheese into slices and add into the pan. Stir constantly.
- Add 1TBS of flour.
- Salt and pepper to taste (I’m guessing around a tablespoon of each?)
- Cook 1 box of elbow macaroni.
- Grease a 9×13 baking dish. I use cooking spray, but you can use butter.
- Strain macaroni, mix it with the cheese.
- Transfer macaroni and cheese sauce into baking dish
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs across the top, just a light coating.
- Five or six pads of butter across the top, it’ll just melt in, I’m told.
- Cook at 350°F for 15 minutes. Top will crust up.
- Eat it. It’s awesome.