This is just a quick technical blog post here… If your eyes glaze over while reading technical stuff, feel free to gloss over this. It’s just up here because I searched for the answers, and couldn’t find any, and that includes having contacted support. The answer is simple, yet wasn’t to be found online, so I thought I’d throw it up onto the Internet for other morons like myself to find. 🙂
I freshly formatted my hard drive last night, and installed windows 7 again. When I logged into Internet Explorer to use Kaseya for remote control of my clients’ machines, I got the following error:
“ActiveX control kaxRemote.dll failed to load! — Please check browser security settings.”
I made sure all browser security settings were right, but still nothing.
Long story short, the problem was that I was using “Internet Explorer (64-bit). Switch to the normal IE in your “Programs” list, and give it another shot before trying anything else. It may save you a few hours of frustration.